If you want to ensure a hassle-free and smooth move, it is important to create a moving house checklist. When you create a best-practices checklist, your move becomes stress-free whether it is a local, interstate, or countrywide move. It will cover all aspects of the move, from packing to dismantling to moving and everything in between.
At Monarch Removals, our best residential move checklists are based on our experience and expertise of having moved thousands of Australian homes. We understand the stress and difficulties that come with home removals and cover everything in our checklists to ensure a seamless move every time.
We suggest following this moving house checklist to ensure a flawless and successful move:
2 Months Before the Move
Book Your Moving Company
It is recommended to get multiple quotes from reputed removalists in Sydney and select the one that best suits your unique needs and budget. With us, you can use our Home Removals Calculator to get a quote.
Plan the Move for Your Kids & Pets
It is important to create a plan for your kids and/or pets for the day of the move. This requires you to determine who will be supervising them. You may have them temporarily moved away or taken care of in another room whilst we are moving your home.
Plan the Packing
When planning your packing, it is best to let the experts take care of it. Professional packers can pack your belongings faster and properly. Your belongings will be much safer when packed by our expert packers than doing it yourself.
If you want to pack your belongings yourself, it is recommended to take the following steps:
- Get Proper Boxes: If required, you can purchase moving boxes and packing materials from us. It is recommended to choose the right box rises for different furniture items. The boxes should be selected based on the furniture parts that will be packed and the room’s access. When packaging fragile furniture pieces, it becomes even more important to select the right type of packing supplies and boxes.
- Choose the Right Furniture Packing Supplies: Furniture packing supplies are typically made of breathable materials that are gentle and soft on the surfaces. They are still durable enough to withstand the movements of handling and transportation. You can use these supplies alone or with other protective materials to prevent damage, scratches, or stains from dust or debris.
- Use Bubble Wrap: Use bubble wrap to back breakables. They help protect items against impact and ensure that your items are delivered to the new place without damage. Extra bubble wrap can be used to fill up space in boxes to prevent the items from moving around.
- Label Everything: You should label all the boxes based on the rooms they will be placed in. If you want to be more detailed, it is recommended to create a numbering system. It is important to create a checklist against your labelling. This checklist will help ensure that all the items have arrived at the destination.
2 Weeks Before the Move
- Set Up Utilities: You should contact your utility providers for the disconnection of your current services and new connections at your new home. It will be required to transfer some accounts from the current address to the new one.
- Confirm Your Moving Arrangements: You should confirm the following points with your moving company:
- Date & time of the move
- Location of pickup
- Volume/number of items that need to be moved
- Any special requirements
1 Week Before the Move
You should ensure that a few essentials are kept in your home for the moving day. This includes:
- First Aid Kit: You can purchase a first aid kit. This will prevent a situation where you have to search for painkillers, plasters, and other basic essentials.
- Toilet Paper: Once you start packing, it is easy to forget about keeping the toilet paper. It is one of the most important things a home cannot do without.
- Get Cleaning Supplies: It may be required to clean both your current and new house. So, you should get the moving supplies at both places and don’t wait until the moving day to get them.
2 to 3 Days Before the Move
- Pack Your Overnight Bag: It is recommended to pack an overnight bag that you can take along in your car. This is because most people will not feel like unpacking on the first night they arrive at their new house. This bag should contain toiletries, a change of clothes and sleepwear, and any medication. Also carry your phone charger and other essentials you may require during the first few hours of settling.
- Secure Your Documents & Valuables: It is best to keep your important documents and valuables in a box and carry it along.
- Take Care of Your Keys: Check all the keys and make sure to secure them in a place you can access them readily. Also ensure that you have the spare keys as well.
Other things you want to do is to clear and clean the refrigerator, pantry, and freezer and take care of the last laundry. It is also important to ensure your new home is ready for your arrival.
1 Day Before the Move
A day before your move, you should ensure everything is ready. Check and ensure that there is no more rubbish and the driveway is accessible. If you live in a rental property, confirm with your professional cleaning service to clean the space after you leave.
The night before the move, have your pets and/or kids taken to the care of the arrangement you made earlier. This will free up your mind and attention for the moving day.
The Day of the Move
On the day of your move, our removalists will call you. We suggest that you ensure there is easy access to your property. Next, you should hand over the keys to the new owners, landlord, or your real estate agent and make last-minute checks. At the new house, you should open up for us and let us know about the rooms. This will make it easier for us to place the boxes in the right places.
Thus, there are many things to keep track of when moving to your new house. This moving house checklist should help you ensure everything is taken care of and you have a hassle-free and successful move.
For more information about our services, feel free to contact us at 1300 947 475.